Home organisation is often a daunting task, so let’s break it down and take it room-by-room. After all, as the weather gets cooler and we spend more time indoors you don’t want to be buried in mess!
– Keep only the movies, games, books and music that you use regularly and store photos in smart boxes for tidy viewing. – Group similar items together and place them in the right area. For example, all DVDs, CDs and games live near the TV, and magazines and books are stored near where you’ll be reading them. – A jumble of cables and cords is not a good look. Enclose cables in a tube to eliminate clutter.
– Make it a rule to ensure personal items like shoes, keys, pocket change and mail are cleared from the kitchen by dinner. – Kitchen 101 states that utensils that work together should be stored together, as close as possible to where they are used. Pots, pans and cooking utensils should be stored near the stove. Plates, dishes, cups and utensils should be kept together, while coffee, mugs and other supplies should be stored near the coffee maker. Don’t use it often? Store it up top. – Use every square inch: hang a unit the back of a cabinet or pantry door, a spice rack, basket storage and take a look where else you can make use of vertical hanging space all around the kitchen.
– Make sure to keep your bed made every day. This simple step can work wonders to keep your bedroom organised. – Keep track of what you REALLY wear: Turn all your clothes hangers face back-to-front. Over the next six months, if you wear an item of clothing, turn the hanger around. Next season you’ll have a pain free wardrobe clear-out to reduce clutter. – Store out of season clothing, bags, linens or blankets in flat, clear storage bins that you can slide under your bed.
– Bathrooms are often short on space. Toss out toiletries, medicine and equipment that you rarely use. – Clear that countertop with clever multipurpose storage containers for toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap and lotion. – Keep bottled cleaners organized by hanging a rod in your cabinet and a basket of other often used cleaning supplies.
– Random receipts? Buy a 12-month expanding file, and keep all bills and receipts organized by month. – Wheel it away: select home office furniture with wheels whenever possible and move it out of the way when not needed.